FAQ Internationals

Here you can find some helpful information for international students studying in the Netherlands

Living in the Netherlands

How do I get a House in the Netherlands

When searching for housing there are quite a few options you can use, Room.nl, Duwo, Housing Anywhere, Kamernet,The Social Hub, or even through the TU Delft Website. People also find places through Facebook group chats but know there is a chance of getting scammed.

What rights do I have when renting?

Here you can find the governmental website for rented housing in the Netherlands.

How to get a Bank account?

These are some of the main banks in the Netherlands. It is necessary to get a dutch bank because most shops and supermarkets don’t accept any other credit cards other than Maestro. ABN AMRO, ING, Revolut, bunq are the most popular options available. There is an introductory event at the TU Delft on how to open a bank account in the Netherlands.

Is it possible to receive (bureaucratic) information in English?

Most governmental agencies provide English translations to their websites to aid your navigation through the bureaucratic processes they provide. Two agencies in particular you should know about are the national Dutch Tax Office (Belastingdienst), which operates throughout the whole of the Netherlands. It will present you with collection information and warn you of infringements. The second agency is the Regionale Belasting Groep (RBG), the Regional agency that will monitor your taxation and inform you of any local taxes (such as water or waste taxes) you will have to pay.

Through the RBG you may also file for tax exemptions. Check the website below to see whether you apply for an exemption.

Other important sites, such as the Delft and Rotterdam municipalities also offer their websites translated in English.

In case a website might not provide you with English translation, or overly convoluted information, we recommend that you use DeepL as a powerful translating tool or ask a Dutch speaking person for help in handling the matter.

What are the transportation costs?

Prices for transportation can be found on the websites of the different transportation agencies: NS – for trains across the Netherlands, R-Net – for bus lines in Delft, Rotterdam and beyond, RET – For trams in Rotterdam. The (standard) price for one way from Delft Central to Dijkzigt (closest station to the EMC) will cost €4.93.

However, you do not need separate tickets and passes for each one of these agencies as you can order an OV-chipcard which allows you to pay for the different transports across the Netherlands, without worrying about the specific local details.

In order to check your routing, you can use the 9292 service or app, planning for bike use, buses, trams and trains on your way to your destination.

What is NS and how can I get the best deals on transportation?

By going to the OV-chipcard website you can apply for a standard or personal card. On a personal card you can add discount plans via the NS website, lowering the cost of transport during off-peak hours or weekends. Other discount plans are also listed, and depending on your personal situation may be better suited to your needs.

Bus metro tram discount – additional discounts RET

When do I need a Dutch health insurance?

The general idea is that you always need an insurance, but you may not need a Dutch one. If you are only studying, you need an insurance, but this can be the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if you’re from an EU/EEA country, or an insurance from your own country. If you work in the Netherlands, then you need to have or obtain a Dutch public health insurance. Note that you have a maximum of 4 months to do this, and that you can be fined if you don’t do it.

How do I get Health/House insurance?

In order to get Health insurance you might want to discuss with your current insurer whether you are covered in the Netherlands. If you would like to get a health insurance you might want to contact the Health insurance department for international students at TU Delft as they can offer better prices.

In order to get a Dutch health insurance you need to register at the municipality first, and then fill out an application for one of the Dutch public health insurances. You can find more information here.


House insurance is often offered whenever you sign up for a Dutch bank account. Many different banks offer it as an additional offer as you sign up for their bank cards. Make sure to consider the option.

Can my health insurance costs be subsidised?

Yes! If you are paying for a compulsory Dutch health insurance you can apply here for a health benefit. The conditions are that you are 18 or older, have a BSN, and are either a citizen of an EU/EEA country or have a valid work or residence permit. For the application itself, you will need to get a DigID. DigID is a key tool to for governmental agencies to prove your identity online, making bureaucratic matters easier to manage. Learn more here about DigID.

Can I get other kinds of subsidies from the government?

The most common subsidy is the rent benefit, for which you need to be registered at your address, have a valid residence permit and have a low rent (452,20€ as of 2023) and low income. For other subsidies you may be eligible for, check this page.

If you are working and paying taxes in the Netherlands, you are also entitled to general and labour tax credit. This means you can get a reduction on national contribution and personal income tax. How much of a reduction you get will depend on your age and how long you have been living in the Netherlands, but make sure to check it.

Working in the Netherlands

Through which websites can I apply for jobs?

Brightspace is a great start if you want to find a job on campus as a Teacher Assistant. Another great option is Stud where you can find some part-time jobs in Delft or Rotterdam. Other than that you can look for fliers in shops or through connections and popular sites such as Indeed, Stepstone and LinkedIn.

How do I know the requirements?

Usually the requirements of each job are listed next to the description of the job. However in any case you always contact the employer for extra clarification. If you’re interested in becoming a TA the requirement is usually that you have passed the course with a grade higher than 7.

Do I need to have health insurance to work in the Netherlands?

In order to work you need Dutch health insurance. No other insurance is accepted by the government and you will be fined if this rule is not complied with. Make sure to get one as you start working.

Learning Dutch

Do I need to learn Dutch?

It is highly encouraged in order to have a smoother interaction with the bureaucratic life when dealing with official documentation from the different institutions around the Netherlands, as well as availing you of an extremely powerful social tool in your everyday life.

Where can I find Dutch courses?

Both private and public courses are available. Introductory courses are available on the TU Delft website and classes are offered at TU Delft. If you are interested in resources around Delft, you might want to check out this post about it.

  • MOOC will appear in the next years
  • Municipalities also offer courses

Mental Health and Integration

Where can I get help?

University work, research and private life affect us irregardless of our desires. TU Delft and Hooke provide tools to help you get through difficult moments in your life. Please consider contacting the TU Delft psychologists and the Hooke confidants if you need support.

What is Gezondeboel?

Career & Counselling introduced an e-health wellbeing for students. Gezondeboel is an online tool where students and PhDs can improve their mental wellbeing in a free, simple and anonymous way. As of this year, the number of programmes has increased, and 19 programmes are right now available in English as well.

Examples of new programmes:  Overactive and InattentiveLiving in a different CultureWorryingSleep well and Managing your money.

Login on Gezondboel (using NetID) by clicking here!

Student information

What is a study/student association?

In the Netherlands there are a lot of different associations for students to join. A clear distinction between two big groups is a study and a student organisation. A study association is an association that is focused specifically on a group of people that follow the same study. Besides that a study association is also more education/career focussed than a student association, which is open for students of all studies and is mostly focussed on finding friends and having fun together.

What is a committee?

A committee is a small group of students that organises an event (like a nanobiology company visit, a symposium or a big student party), makes photos at activities or makes the association magazine. Many students join a committee during their studies and learn valuable skills. Having committee experience on your resume greatly increases your value on the job market, compared to your peers! Click here to find out what committees of S.V.N.B. Hooke you could join.

What is a BSA?

BSA stands for Binding Study Advice. This is a term related to your first year of studying in the Netherlands. In the Netherlands the BSA is initiated to ensure that students find a study that fits their interest and that isn’t too difficult for the student. The BSA is a threshold of ECT’s that you need to gain before you can continue in your second year of any Bachelor. At the moment this threshold is 45 ECT’s for all Students at the TU Delft.

Useful links